So I had some remaining strawberry puree. Hmm what to do! So I was thinking a yummy frosting. This has a perfect strawberry taste without tasting like just a lot of butter on a cupcake. Lemons in the cake make it nice and fresh and go beautifully with the strawberry. Yum 🙂 I just used whatever juice and extract I could get out of 2 lemons. Makes approx 33 cakes
- 230g butter softened. (1 cup approx)
- 380g self raising flour (3 cups approx)
- 400g caster sugar (2 cups approx)
- 4 eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup milk (240ml)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- Line cupcake tins with liners. (Around 30-34)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius fan forced.
- Cream butter and sugar by mixing using a scraper blade on medium speed, until lighter and fluffier in texture.
- Add vanilla and eggs one by one, until combined.
- Sift flour twice.
- Add flour and milk in alternate batches to mixer and mix until just combined.
- Add zest and lemon juice and mix until just combined. (Do not overmix)
- Fill cupcake tins with mixture (around 3/4 full). I like to use an icecream scoop which makes this step super easy and clean!
- Bake in oven for around 18-20 minutes until a tester stick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in tin for around 5 minutes then move to a cake cooler tray to cool completely before frosting.
- 165g strawberry puree
- 170g butter softened
- 330-350g icing sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- dash red food colouring
- Reduce puree to 3 tbsp by putting in a saucepan over low – medium heat. Keep an eye on it and stir every so often so it doesn’t burn or reduce too much.
- When puree has reduced transfer to a small container and place in the fridge or freezer to cool, stirring occasionally.
- Add all ingredients to a mixer bowl and mix until combined and creamy. Add a small amount of food colouring (I used a tiny bit of pink Wilton gel food colouring. If required add more icing sugar (or milk) to gain desired consistency/thickness for piping.
All recipes for lemon cupcake batter
Cooking classy for strawberry frosting