This chocolate and zucchini loaf cake is another one of those cakes which have something healthy in there! Granted chocolate is healthy too! ha who am i kidding! But seriously zucchini is always something which is healthy and makes a moist and beautiful bake.
- 130g brown sugar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp orange rind
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 165 plain flour (approx 1 cup)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarb
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini firmly packed with water squeezed out (260g)
- 60g choc bits
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees celsius.
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper length ways and spray the ends with oil.
- Sift the cocoa powder, plain flour, baking powder, bicarb into a large mixing bowl, add brown sugar and stir until completely combined and no lumps in the brown sugar.
- Add zucchini and choc bits and combine.
- To a separate bowl, add eggs and lightly beat them. Add oil, vanilla, orange rind. Whisk until combined.
- Add egg mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Put the mixture into the loaf tin
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a tester stick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes and remove from pan to cool completely. Is yummy warm too though!
This is a yummy loaf cake with some few extra goodies to add a bit more nutrition. The zucchini makes it beautiful and moist so it will keep for around 4-5 days in the fridge. Great idea for a picnic or just a lovely afternoon tea.
- 500g zucchini (if don’t have enough thats fine or can add some grated carrot if you like)
- 1/2 cup blueberries (frozen is fine)
- 200 g walnuts or pecans (roughly chopped)
- 3 large eggs
- 250 ml of olive oil (or vegetable oil is fine)
- 1 1/2 cups raw sugar (or a bit less is fine)
- 2 1/2 cups self raising flour (alternatively mix of 1 cup wholemeal and 1 1/2 cups plain self raising flour makes it a bit healthier)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon ground
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg ground
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius fan forced.
- Line a loaf tin with baking paper and lightly grease with spray oil on the sides.
- Grate the zucchini and drain out the excess water by squeezing it out. Too much water will make the mixture too wet.
- To a large bowl add the eggs, oil, sugar, zucchini and whisk together.
- Add the flour, cinnamon and nutmeg and stir lightly until just mixed. Do not over mix.
- Then add the walnuts or pecans, blueberries and fold in gently.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour. Check if it has cooked in the centre. Otherwise cover with alfoil to avoid the top getting too brown and cook for another 10-15 minutes at a time until a tester stick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in tin for 10 minutes.
- Remove from tin and leave on a wire rack to cool
- Cut, serve and enjoy!